Monday, December 14, 2009

LOVE, LOSS AND WHY EVERY WOMAN SHOULD SEE THIS SHOW

When Jeff and I started this blog we agreed to go forward, not backward. This meant no blogging about what we’ve already seen. We also do write every blog together because we see everything together - we really do not go to theatre without one another. There has been one “sort of” exception.

LOVE, LOSS AND WHAT I WORE opened the first week of October at the West Side Theatre - the old and wonderful home to the Vagina Monologues. Much like its predecessor there, the current show is also designed to have a rotating cast of stars. It is also performed with the actresses seated…with scripts on music stands in front of them.

God bless Jeff. He indulged me when I read about LOVE, LOSS AND WHAT I WORE and insisted we see this “chick-theater”. Last October we saw it with Tyne Daly and Rosie O’Donnell. Jeff liked it and I really, really loved it. What I didn’t love was that every time something was mentioned that pertained to an experience I'd shared with my daughter she wasn’t next to me so I could pinch her arm. So I bought a second set of tickets and my daughter and I saw it this weekend.

And this is how you are supposed to go to this particular show. If you are lucky enough to have your mother or daughter near you - go with her. If you live near your sister - go with her. If your best friend is coming to town - go with her. I promise you that you will NOT be sorry. Without even speaking, my daughter and I acknowledged the bit about the pushy saleswoman adjusting you in a push up bra. We immediately related to standing in front or in our closets totally confused and wondering who bought what, when. And so much more.

Rhea Perlman, Rita Wilson and Kristen Chenowith took our breath away. They brought us to stores we shopped in, outfits we loved, clothes we hated….and every woman’s fight with weight. This is not a play that is Pulitzer prize winning material…actually both my daughter and I were sure we each could have written parts of it. But we didn’t. It’s so much easier to just go and have a wonderful experience that you share with your daughter, mother or best friend. You get to laugh and cry within the cocoon of an audience all doing the same thing.

So go. And take your tissues.

No comments:

Post a Comment